11 January 2008

Growing a brand...

Life seems to send us the lessons. When we need them. A case in point being a client who's previous boss is someone I like to refer to as the Terrier. You know the type, or should I say, the brand... hard, wiry, relentless - successful at all costs. Little in the way of empathy and certainly no statesman-like qualities. And it appealed to my client's background, his hard fought way to the top.

Ring in the changes and he now has a new boss... professional background, more statesman than hard nosed business-man. And my client is finding it hard to adapt. What he is beginning to realise is that the Terrier was there to teach him how to harness the fight, and the Statesman is now here to teach him how to polish it.

So we dig hard to find what is compelling about my client to the Statesman, and how he can make the most of this new dynamic. And the answers are clear as day.

Having previously identified with the Terrier, my client knows that he is more than that. He knows that he has broader business skills. We explored the elements of the Statesman's brand that he himself possesses, albeit in their infancy, and he has had a shift in thinking. He has switched from resistance mode to what I call 'smart' mode. He is now looking to grow his Personal Brand to incorporate a new approach. And over time this will be truly authentic, he will have delivered consistently, making him hugely compelling to a wider market.

And I believe we have a winner in the making.

No comments: